Tuesday 11 January 2011

Why my 2010 was amazing...


For me, 2010 has been a year of ups and downs, stressful times and times of fun and relaxation. I have learnt so much and feel a lot more grown up than when the year started…but then I guess I might feel like that every year! But somehow, I feel like this is who I am as an adult now: not constantly changing. I have formed opinions and beliefs that are strong, and have become more discerning, not merely lapping things up and believing everything I’m told. Yeah, I might have become more cynical, but I have learned to use my own head, seeking wisdom. Also, to trust in God and know that he has our best interests at heart. As it says in Proverbs (3:5) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;” This might be the hardest thing for me to do…but I have found that trusting that God works things out for the best and waiting on him, things really do work out in ways that we would have never imagined!

I’ve made A LOT of mistakes this year, but I have learned from them all and grown stronger, learning more about God, his love and his forgiveness, and living my life trusting in him.

The year started with a ski trip with two lovely boys which was an awful lot of fun, but also a bit stressful because I spent the whole time thinking about university work…something that rather consumed me for the following 5 months.
However, this last few months at uni proved to be an incredibly rewarding time as well, becoming closer to my friends, and really working hard to achieve my 2:1, knowing I had given it my best shot.

Soon after finishing uni, I spent a fantastic two weeks driving around France with one of my favourite people, a tent and a Ford Fiesta! This holiday really made me sure that I wanted to spend a more prolonged time in France, and I returned to work full time at the restaurant, and to pursue a job as an Au Pair. I secured the job that I am going to go to in September, and since then, work has just been so fantastic, putting my all into what I do, knowing that there is an end date, and something exciting to follow. Later on in the summer, I spent a week working at a children’s Christian summer camp which really opened my eyes to the need to serve God, through serving others and helping to provide a safe environment for children to learn and come to faith. I also learnt so much about God and the bible and really grew in my faith along with meeting some fantastic people.

Leaving my long-term boyfriend and best friend, no matter how amicable the split, was a very tough time, but recovery was sweet, as I learned to lean more on God. His plans far exceed what I could have ever imagined, and he continues to bring me new joys every day.

Autumn showed me how to be independent. I experienced a week working in a completely different environment, in marketing, and I really enjoyed it. I met new people, made mistakes, learned to love more people. I found a new church, made new friends, appreciated the value of old friends, of family. Looking forward to the prospect of 2011, starting with a fantastic skiing holiday with friends, and a new job in France.

God has blessed my year abundantly. He has worked through difficult situations, and responded to my prayers, constantly surprising me with his amazing grace and showing me how he works in people’s lives, blessing them and giving them hope and new life.







"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. "
Collossians 3: 23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment