Tuesday 10 May 2011

Spoke too soon!

So yesterday morning went well, but going to bed wasn't so great! I was all alone with the kids last night, and they just didn't want to go to bed. I managed to get them down in the end and enjoyed a quiet evening to myself. However, this morning, they were really bad. I think nothing of having to get the kids out of the house by myself. It's tough but it's normal. However, when I speak to the other mums at the school about it, they are often shocked! Some of them find getting one child out of the house bad enough, so I guess I shouldn't feel so bad when it doesn't always go completely right.

Before I came here, I never knew I could get so cross! I have since discovered that what gets to me the most is when I ask a child to do something completely reasonable (like cleaning their teeth before going to school) and they shout 'NO' in my face and carry on running around like crazy. This was this morning. When the super-nanny tactics from last week, when counting to three still doesn't work, when the oldest child is ready and waiting and we are going to be late for school - what do you do?
Needless to say, it was a difficult morning. But we got there in the end.
I got the kids to school, and I jotted all this down while grabbing a quick cafe before going off to do my English lessons. They were actually a delight: I love teaching the little ones sometimes! We did the colours, and the weather, and I taught them how to sing 'Sing a Rainbow'. We also talked about the Royal Wedding and I'm going to bring them some pictures next week so we can learn about the Royal Family!!

It's still really hot, but today is a bit muggy and feels like rain. One thing about the warm weather is that the fashionable youth of the city get even more fashionable! In England, you would be looking at some of these guys and saying to yourself 'he's got to sway the other way!' But here you just think 'typical French guy!' (This doesn't refer to all French guys, I hasten to add, just some of the more fashion-concious ones!)


Bruise update: I have discovered bruises on my right elbow and arm, my hand is nicely bruised and the one on my shin is about the size of an apple... looking good! ...I'm going to hesitate before I take that trottinette out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment