Wednesday 30 March 2011

Not a normal job...

...you can't call in sick!

So, this week I have been a bit under the weather. I can't really explain it but I have got really horrible stomach pains, feel like I'm going to be sick all the time - but I haven't been - a stinking headache, and no energy. This got worse last night and I went to bed super early and watched Nanny McPhee! It is actually brilliant! I wish I had magic powers sometimes!! Anyway, this morning when I woke up, I felt awful. And its Wednesday. The horror. I have such a bad head and SO little energy! But what can you do? No-one else is going to look after the children. Thankfully, F took pity on me and took Toby to creche...and Alice's flute lesson isn't till 4.30pm so we have the whole day at home. It is a bit of a rainy day too, so I feel no obligation to encourage outdoor activities. However, I still feel awful that the kids are just sat in front of kid's TV. However, this is a rarity, and under the circumstances, one of my only options right now as they don't seem to understand that when an adult is unwell, they don't want to start painting the cellar, or doing crazy games. Oh dear... Anyway, their Mum is back from her business trip late this afternoon, so I am very much looking forward to that...and tonight when I can sleep!!

Sorry, moan over.

Onto some more happy things:

Yesterday Alice took part in this big inter-school races thing all round the park. I went down and watched. She was running in a race with about 200 other girls her age, and she came in 11th! As she crossed the finish line, I actually had a tear, I was so proud of her!!

Parc Brasserie 
Getting ready for the race...


On Monday, the clock change thing was a struggle, as it felt like we were getting up at 5:45am - I'm sure a lot of you non-students felt this pain! However, for us, it mean that the children didn't get up ridiculously early, and this has continued throughout the week! :)
However, I started to feel pretty ill half way through my French class, and excused myself to go home for a sleep. This didn't make me feel any better. Picking up the kids went ok later that day, as this seems to come in waves of feeling sick, but the energy levels were not good. You need a lot of energy getting those kids home, I can tell you. Stanley has also been having quite a few tantrums lately. Not fun.
I still wanted to go to choir in the evening as it always makes me feel better and it's always great to see people, so I ate some dry bread and went to meet Betsy for the bus. We had missed the earlier one, so waited for the one that gets us to choir just a little bit late. However, it drove straight past us! These bus drivers can be slightly crazy!
So, we decided it being a beautiful evening that we should go have a drink and a chat somewhere and skip choir as the next bus would've got us there really late. It was so lovely to be walking out in the light and it was a beautiful evening. We met two of Betsy's course-mates as we were walking, and we stood around chatting in French for quite a while (although none of us actually are French!) It is quite amusing speaking to South American's in French as they have such a strong accent!
Anyway, we had a really lovely evening chatting and getting to know each other more. Betsy is such an awesome girl and I want you all to meet her! She is the most amazing friend and we feel so blessed to have been placed in each other's lives in this place.

The last two-and-a-bit months have been so life-changing for me, and I know there is so much more to come. things have been tough sometimes, especially like now, being poorly and not being able to do anything about it. But it has also been so blessed and I have had some amazing times and met some amazing people. I think when things are harder, you really learn to appreciate the good things in life and the amazing things that can come out of hard situations. I was meant to be having a visitor this weekend, but that fell through. Although it makes me sad, I know that it means that I can spend more time with people here, and that going home in 3-and-a-bit weeks will be all the more special for it!

Anyway... please forgive the rather disjointed blog! I have heard that lots of people are reading this, which makes me really happy! I hope that you are all well :)

lots of love xxx

My favourite flowers in a little garden I found in the park...

No comments:

Post a Comment